Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Is the world against me?

In an attempt to clear my creative roadblock, I enlisted the help of my good friend Danielle Riendeau, an incredibly gifted artist in her own right, to assist me in a rehash of an assignment I did during my freshman year of college.

Each day during this week that I'm preparing to go to England for study abroad (prashantuktrip.blogspot.com), she will give me a time limit, a BPM, and 7 everyday household objects to make a tune.

Funny thing is, the first challenge wouldn't be to get my recordings done... it was to save my computer from the brink of almost certain disaster. At some point this morning, a light mist from a pan I was drying hit my computer's keyboard and shorted the computer out entirely.

Needless to say, I was stricken by fear of having ruined the device that holds my life (pathetic, I know) as I could hear that hissing sound that could only mean the motherboard was slowly dying.

In a last ditch attempt to save it, I completely dismantled it, all the way to isolating the motherboard.

I then used a hairdryer for about 20 minutes on each part, put it back together, and voila! Restarted!

Now I'm still being a bit cautious, but if this worked, then it's a lesson for me and a good tutorial for anyone else who accidentally spills a little something on their Macbook.

Anyway, looks like now I can start. Hopefully, a 1 minute and 27 second long piece will be on Soundcloud tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment