Friday, January 29, 2010

A return to normalcy

If you've been keeping track of Soundcloud, you'll notice that I have embarked in a mission with my partner in crime Danielle to revamp my creative juices through a "found objects" exercise.

Each day, Danielle specifies a BPM, a duration, and 7 everyday household objects with which I have to make a tune.

Only two tunes in, I can already feel the difference it makes; now when I return to synthesizer design within Reason, I can hear the more subtle undertones of each voice, I can imagine the resulting combination of voices. I'm already able to make better judgements about what to use in a piece and what not too.

Even my effect usage has gotten better. Through my experimentation with recorded sounds, I've discovered many new techniques to achieve the sounds I can already hear in my head.

Things have turned around so well that I've already started a new piece in the vein of Black Sun Empire and Noisia that may actually be a heavy roller.

For now, I'll keep up with the exercise, keep posting to Soundcloud, and see if I can finally add more synth-driven tunes in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment