Monday, January 25, 2010

Restart

First outpouring of the mind... here we go...

After a few weeks of not being able to write anything (Reason panicked until I could come home and reinsert my install DVD), I'm back in it and ready to go.

But for some reason, everything is feeling stale and mediocre again. I can hear ideas in my head, but transforming them into audio is proving to be beyond difficult. Looking through my library of sounds, it becomes obvious why such circumstances have arisen:

As of today, I have 163 gigabytes of synthesizer patches, samples, and effect configurations. Far too many for anyone who isn't a professional producer with a well-stocked studio to make the most of those resources.

Even more mind-racking is the irony of this situation; Liam Howlett of The Prodigy (greatest band ever), when asked how he wrote The Prodigy's fourth album "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned", he spoke about how his studio had become so packed full of keyboards and other modules that he simply couldn't put down the ideas he had. It became so frustrating that he locked up his own studio for almost a year and proceeded to buy himself a laptop running Reason. Using this standalone, minimal workstation, he was able to start with a fresh slate and concentrate more on the music rather than the technique behind it.

And yet here I am, taking this "minimal" piece of software and fattening it up like I'm about to eat it... it may be time for a change in how I do things.

No comments:

Post a Comment